Sunday, February 14, 2010

Search Tools

There are a lot of search tools out there. I like that because it gives people different ways to search for information. This week I was reminded of a search tool that I used when I lived in Albany, NY while completing my undergrad degree. I fill in love with the Guilderland library, a part of the Albany Public Library system. When you searched for information on their catalog, a web appeared. It provided you with alternate key words, spelling, similar topics, author links, and more to help you find what you were looking for (or even find stuff you didn't know you were looking for but wanted anyway).
Another search tool that I have fallen in love with is the one the the International Children's Digital Library uses as their "Simple Search" (http://www.childrenslibrary.org/icdl/SimpleSearchCategory?ilang=English). I think this is a great example of how we should design a search tool for younger users. Their are bright icons that form a square around the search results. This allows you to never have to leave this page to see search results, it only refreshes as you narrow down your search options. It gives users the chance to find books based on their content, length, color of the cover and more. Your search results are formed like a math formula by adding different options, such as red and green covers that are picture books. The results themselves are the cover of the book, the title, and the country of origin.
I really think we can learn a lot from this search tool.

No comments:

Post a Comment